The people of Madhapar opened this mandir in 1858. In the early days, the mandir only consisted of a murti of Shankar Bhagwan.
It was then re-renovated many times until in 1992, it was rebuilt.
Today in Madhapar this mandir is one of the many new mandirs, but the murti of Shankar Bhagwan remains the same.
|Thaakar Mandir (Sanatan)
Built in 1887, the Thaakar mandir consisted only of one Ram murti. It was gradually built and it is in centre of the Gaam.
In the morning people go to the mandir for darshan and during Diwali it is carefully decorated. During this festive season, rather than people meeting at each other's homes, they meet outside the mandir, it has become a meeting point, as the mandir is very popular.
The people of Madhapar built Swaminarayan Mandir in 1898. Madhapar's population is divided between Swaminarayan and Sanatan (Ram Mandir) beliefs.
Majority of Kutchi Leva Patel's are Swaminarayan’s, but in Madhapar majority of the people are Sanatan.
Built in 1914, the mandir was entirely man made. The Hanuman murti is made of stone, which people believe is Hanuman.
As people had no skills before apart from farming the mandir was a small hut. It was only when people learnt building skills that it was made into a proper mandir.
Today this mandir is very popular. As it is almost at the end of the Gaam, people stopover here to pay their respects, and ask for Hanuman's blessings before leaving the village.
The lake was "dug" almost 100 years ago by the Leva Patel community. Kari Mori's main purpose was to provide water for people and for the cattle of the Gaam. When people would return from work they would stop over there and quench their thirst. The water was mainly collected by rainwater.
This lake is known as Kari Mori because the area at the time was surrounded by hills, which means "mori" and it got the name "kari" because it was said that there were a ot of black snakes in that area before. Therefor it got the name "Kari Mori."
Today people normally go there to sit underneath the trees and to relax. Now there are plenty of huge trees surrounding the lake, used by the cattle to rest underneath the shade and also by the people of the village to meet up.
Now in the surrounding areas there is a road that leads to the farms at the end of the village. There are also few huts where the poor "Rabari" people live.
Where as in the past "Kari Mori" was outside the Gaam, but today because the village has become so big, "Kari Mori" has become part of Madhapar.
|Saraswati Vidyalaya (Primary School)
The primary school was built on 30th April 1950. Before the school was built, children had no form of education than what was taught by certain men who would teach them the basics, the alphabet and how to count. One of these teachers included Nersi Master (a Luwaru).
As these teachers charged, families could not afford to send all the children to study, as a result only the boys of the family would be educated. There were some government schools also.
The people of the Gaam got together and built the School "Sarasvati Vidhyalaya." One of the early teachers there was Ram Chandraji Master. This school also had a fee, so again only the boys from each family were sent to school.
This tradition began to change when people started settling abroad. As they sent money to their family back in the village, families had extra money, meaning they could pay for each child to have a basic education.
Today, each Kanbi child goes to the school for his/her basic education and depending on how wealthy the family is; they continue in the High School also.
|Apna Ghar (Old People's Home)
Apna Ghar was built in 1984. It was made for the people who had no next of kin, or for people who have children living abroad. Here old, sick and needy people are cared for, looked after and fed. Food is also distributed to people to their homes.
Apna Ghar has become the symbol of "Service to Humanity is Service to God."
The Samshan Bhumi is a crematorium where all people of Madhapar are criminated. It was rebuilt in 1976, and unlike where in the past people only went to the Samshan when someone passed away; today it has become a place of tranquillity.
Samshan Bhumi is the last stage of the human yatra on this earth, thus, a place of high respect.
The Samshan Bhumi of Madhapar is the best of Gujarat, maybe after the Samshan Bhumi of Jamnagar.
The environment is very pleasant, the garden and the statues of numerous Hindu idols keep one's mind at peace.
|Savodaya Sports Centre
Built around 1982, the sports ground today has become popular for people who are visiting Madhapar from abroad.
It has made considerable progress since its first opening, it now has a cricket ground, volleyball and tennis area, and many other games are played in the ground.
Many people just go to sit in the garden made inside the centre.
|Leva Patel Vadi
The Patel Vadi, as it is more popularly known as, was built on 20th August 1976.The main purpose of this institution was to provide facilities for marriages and other social functions.
Before the Patel Vadi was built, marriages and other social events took place in the home. Prior the construction of the new Patel Vadi, there was a smaller function area, in the main Chowk. It is still in use today, but for smaller functions.
|Kesar Baag (Kesar Park)
Kesar Baag was built in 1988, in the memory of 5 children who passed way when they went for a picnic, at Tapka, where they threw what to them appeared to be a piece of metal, but was actually a bomb. Keasar Baag is made in the memory of those children.
Many people from neighbouring villages and Bhuj visit the park. Every Sunday a mini fete is held outside the park where small food and drink stalls are placed and people bring their children to play in the park facilities.
|Naku (Gate of Madhapar, Nava Vaas)
The Naku is simply for aesthetic purpose, it symbolises the entrance to the Gaam. It was built around 1991.
The gateway of Madhapar is very important to the people of the village. When people are leaving the Ghaam they make sure they leave from underneath the Naku.
When a marriage takes place in the Ghaam, the bridegroom will enter from underneath the Naku, where the bride's family receives him. When the marriage ceremony has ended the bride goes back to the Naku, symbolising that she is leaving her home (the village), even if she is marrying into Madhapar.
More popularly known as the Bhaathar by all the residents of Madhapar, it's hard to believe that once upon a time, people hardly ever went to the bhaathar because it was a place where the cows would come to eat and drink water, it was not for the residents. The PANCHAYAT paid for the CHARO (animal food) and water for the cattle.
It is said that Lord Krishna had come there many years ago, because of which cows always seem to gather there.
The Bhaathar was an open space, until around 25 years ago when the people of the village planted some trees to bring shade for the animals, but gradually it became a place where people would also sit during the day, especially the elderly.
The mini cafes opened around 20 years ago, and today it is mainly a place where people sit all day. The cows are still part of the Bhaathar. There is a section in the Bhaathar where the cows stay and they get regular food and drink from the village PANCHAYAT.
Roa Godji built the Bhujio Fort for the defence of Bhuj in 1723. The entire big fort is built on top of hills, 160 metres high and it was mainly built for the purpose of defence against invaders.
It is named after Bhujang Naag, the snake temple. British Colonel William Coir took over the fort in 1819.
The city of Bhuj got its name from the Bhujio Fort.
|Madhapar High School
Text to Add.